The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration issued a new guide detailing strategies that can help providers connect the homeless to Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Benefits.
There’s a emphasis on collaboration between community providers and federal agencies. The strategies focus on assisting individuals experiencing homelessness with the initial disability application and medical determination process.
Discussed strategies include:
- Assisting people experiencing homelessness with the SSI/SSDI application process;
- Coordinating with SSA field offices, community organizations, and other Federal agencies;
- Coordinating benefits and entitlements;
- Working with veterans and other special populations;
- Assisting SSI/SSDI beneficiaries post-entitlement.
The guide is available here (PDF file).