Voices for Vermont’s Children recently published a report titled “Difficult Choices: Housing for Vermont Families” that discusses how the housing crisis in Vermont affects children. The report highlights many findings such as the following:
- Housing is too expensive for many of Vermont’s working families.
- Vermont is consistently the least affordable state in the country when energy costs are measured as a % of household budgets.
- Family and child homelessness is a growing problem in Vermont.
- An estimated 2,061 children were homeless in Vermont in 2013.
- Kids need healthy and stable housing to thrive.