The Samaritan House, Inc. is seeking a dynamic leader to manage its homeless shelter, transitional housing and support services in St. Albans, VT. The new Director must be an experienced executive with highly developed interpersonal skills, strong financial, operational, grant writing and management expertise, as well as the ability to take strong initiative and build strong political relationships. This is a full-time position with limited benefits. Salary based on experience and qualifications. The Samaritan House is an equal opportunity educator and employer. Please direct all inquiries to Linda Ryan, Samaritan House, 24 Kingman Street, St. Albans, VT05478, e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leadership: Provide a positive leadership that motivates and encourages the staff and the Board to achieve the goals of the organization.
Fundraising: Provide direct oversight and work closely with the Director of Development and Board of Directors to implement a development plan that supports the annual budget and Strategic Plan. Must be competent at meeting with donors in the major gift and other fundraising solicitations.
Strategic Thinking: Work closely with the management team and the Board of Directors to develop and implement short and long-range actions and strategies as outlined in the Strategic Plan. This requires creative approaches to developing programs and seeking solutions for community needs.
Financial Management: Accountable for meeting fiscal year budgeted income and expenses as developed and approved by the Board of Directors. The financial structure has a diversity of funding sources and reporting requirements that require detailed attention.
Operational Management: Provide direct oversight to all operations, including property management,
1. Lead human resources to ensure staff are well- trained and professional.
2. Evaluate the effectiveness of current programs, makes improvements as necessary, identify and develop programs to meet client and community needs, as well as seek resources to support desired programs.
3. Ability to understand the populations served, as well as have experience working with individuals with mental health and substance abuse conditions.
Marketing and Public Relations: Responsible for representing the organization throughout the community and State to ensure continued broad based support and a positive public image in a highly competitive non-profit sector environment.
Bachelor’s Degree, (Masters preferred) plus four years of Fundraising and Program Development Experience. Ten years of experience in non-profit management will be considered in lieu of a Degree.
- High Energy and passion for Samaritan House’s mission is essential
- Good communication and advocacy skills
- Supervision skills and experience
- Excellent computer skills
- Ability to deal effectively with colleagues at the local and state level
- Ability to analyze problem situations and focus on resolving them
- Ability to understand the populations served
- Experience with Mental Health and Substance Abuse conditions
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal grant sources including foundations
- Able to maintain professional boundaries and ethical standards with staff, clients and the general public